Saturday 18 September 2010

Dedicated to Whitehaven and all it's folk

Isn’t it odd that inevitably, as we grow up, we dislike the place we live in. I remember a student, when I lived in Cambridge, who had lived all her life there telling me it was a dreadful place because ‘there was nothing to do’. Cambridge! Cultural centre of the world!
Wherever I go I find much the same thing with children and young adults. The place of their birth is deadly dull in comparison to...well, anything really. But Whitehaven is considered so remote with so little going on there that when I was interviewed for a teaching post there I was grilled by a committee of three about exactly how I would spend my free time. They were worried I would find the place a terrible bore and leave very quickly. The truth, as they say, could not have been further away.
I fell in love with Whitehaven not long after I fell in love with my wife.
We were studying in Cambridge at the time so I had no idea, other than her accent, that she came from there. As it was, when I found out, like most of the population of England I had only the vaguest idea where it was.
“Is that in Scotland?” I asked rather apologetically. Having lived there for 10 years of my life I secretly curse when someone asks me that these days, but back then I was young and foolish. I soon learned from my soon-to-be-wife that there was a huge difference between being in Scotland and almost being in Scotland.
And that, I guess, is one of the major reasons I love Whitehaven. Not so much the scenery, the harbour, the hills, the lakes – beautiful though they are – but the ‘in your face’ nature of the people there. Like my wife.
It is not so much that people in Whitehaven will call a spade a spade, as that they will call it a ‘bloody great shovel’ and I love that. It is one of the reasons I have taught children for the last 18 years of my life. I still get as excited now with being with a student as I did back then because I loved the honesty. Children don’t know what they ‘should’ or ‘should not’ tell you. They just say it with brutal honesty. Cumbrians, like most northerners, are not known for being genteel and polite. But they are honest. Curmbrian children all the more so.
I know that it is difficult to generalise about people and you have your good and bad wherever you go. But in Whitehaven, perhaps more than anywhere else I have ever lived, the people tell you how it really is. If you look a total idiot they will tell you. If you paid too much for something they will tell you. If they disagree with you they will tell you.
That all sounds negative doesn’t it but no, believe me, it is refreshing.
Because Whitehaven people also know how to tell you when you are getting it right. And if you need someone on your side there is no one I would rather have than a Cumbrian who believed in me fighting my corner. They will sing your praises to the far corners if you warrant it and they are not backwards in coming forwards with telling you when you have got it right. I can’t think of a single time when someone from Whitehaven has paid me a compliment that didn’t sound like it was the God’s honest truth. There was no buttering up. Just the facts, as they saw it.
Is this some kind of nostalgic longing to be back there now I live in Bangladesh with a very different kind of society? No not all. For two reasons:
Firstly, I love being here too. The people are different but they are every bit as special. Another blog, another time and I will tell you about some of them. This is not written out of any sense of homesickness (though I confess that I do have such feelings at times). I am content with my lot here. But it is written with a deep swelling of pride in a place that I have come to appreciate all the more now that I am separated from it.
Secondly, because actually I have been saying all this ever since I first stepped foot in the town. I was attracted to the place because of the woman I knew best from there – my wife. So I already had a pretty good idea of what to expect.
And they didn’t let me down and never have. I had some hard knocks whilst there but though sometimes I had my knocks and scrapes with some and had a fair few arguments with many, not once has a Whitehaven lad or lass done me harm. The ones that did, who lived there, were never born there and usually only came up because of a job opportunity. They didn’t (and don’t) get the spirit of the place and can’t because somehow they seem to think they are better informed, better educated. They don’t need the locals.
Well, I think they are missing out. I think they don’t realise just what wisdom and beauty lies behind those faces. What pride in their town as they work together to make festivals the envy of any town. What dogged persistence when the infamous Cumbrian weather ravages every rooftop. Far from being beneath those of us who have found shelter in this noble town, I think they have much to show us about how much we have lost that was precious to England all but a few decades ago. Certainly in all the years I have been there, I have never failed to be amazed by the courage and love this town has given me. Ironically, being away these past two years I have missed tragedies there that I would have wanted to be able to help with. But I would only have mucked it up.
And then I would have really got it in the neck.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. :)

Ken Powell said...

Thank you! :)

Vikki Ford-Powell said...

A comment from the "wife". I am not sure many would say being called "in your face" online was a compliment, but for a Cumbrian it is so true and a characteristic that has done me well. This is a brilliant reflection and insight into life in a town that is wonderful yet often badly misrepresented. Well done Shami.

Ken Powell said...

It is good to get supported from one's spouse - especially one that does not throw compliments around! You are right Vikki, the 'in your face' bit is a toughie but, as I hope to write about in the near future, the opposite is the snide, deceitful, sneaky way of talking behind your back which I absolutely hate. My love for Whitehaven folk is based on the knowledge that, on the whole, if someone has something to say to me, they will say it to me.

Anonymous said...

i think this piece is amazing ken i like your views on cumbria

from Ryan Blaney

Vicki said...

It's nice to see that people can sit back and take a good look at what's around them. Too many people are quick to judge Cumbrians, or think they are above us because of their affluent background or a high flying career that's brought them to Cumbria, rather than a love for the County. They walk down the street here and get a wave or a hello, not many places are like that now. For the most part, we are open and honest, it's the best way to be if you want to make true friends.
Furthermore,the spirit of Cumbria has proved to be more resilient and warmer than ever since the recent tragedies.
This is a really good article Ken and a brilliant interpretation.

Charlotte Cassie said...

hahahaha. Cumbrians have courage thats us!!!! don't mess with us!!! :D

Ruth said...

I really enjoyed reading this as I come from Whitehaven myself.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Enjoyed reading it. Feels like a massive compliment to us all :)
Daniel

Ken Powell said...

I am delighted to have such high praises from so many Cumbrians already. Although I focussed on Whitehaven because it is 'my' town what I said does, of course, extend much further to the county.

Vicki you are entirely right especially about 'true friends' and 'recent tragedies'. I hate to see condescending attitudes wherever I go and I am sure this will come up again on this blog when I get talking about Bangladesh.

For now, despite being a 'stranger' to Whitehaven myself, I actually think it is a shame that more and more come from afar and seem to think it is their 'mission' to change the county and show simple Cumbrians how they should live. It's utter rubbish, of course, and I wish they would just leave well alone.

Adrian Salamon said...

ah i kinda miss whitehaven. had it's charm in a weird way. Though at the time I couldn't wait to leave. may visit it another time in the future..

Now my real home town Wisbech. I really hate that. it was a dump. i went back last year.. still a dump but actually worse!

-adrian

Ken Powell said...

Actually your post backs up what I am saying Adrian, thank you. It is easy for newcomers to not appreciate the place until after they have left it again! Your feelings about Wisbech (which I have passed through and looked very nice!) are much the same as many feel about the place they grew up in. I wish more of the children I taught for 8 years in Whitehaven would appreciate the place as much as I have. It is a great town!

Ann said...

Hey wonderful, clever and creative brother of mine; this is gooooooooooood. Am very much looking forward to your musings about Bangladesh! x

Tracy B said...

Well - the only Cumbrians I know are your beautiful wife and her family ... so on that basis Cumbrians DEFINITELY get my vote! I totally agree about young people in the UK growing up think their town/city/region is pretty rubbish. I noticed a real difference in France - most of the french people my age (20 at the time) were immensely proud of their regions and insisted that you HAD to visit that area in France - one request I finally fulfilled - visiting Thonon-les-Bains in August this year - 17 years later!!! Loving the blog ... keep it up!

Ken Powell said...

Ann I have already written on Bangladesh! Go check it out! Tracy, what you say about France is interesting. Maybe they have a different way of dealing with attitudes there? Oddly, one of the few countries in Europe I have NOT had any readers from so far is France so if any from there pick this up please respond! I want to hear how France is different! :)